From 3 August 2023 to 13 August 2023, the UCI World Cycling Championships take place in various locations across Scotland. The Championships are the annual world championships for bicycle road racing. The event includes BMX competitions, acrobatic cycling, mountain biking and para-cycling races. #PowerOfTheBike
The Championships are expected to have major impacts on the road and transport network. The following are key events impacting the strategic road network and some travel information and advice for the events.
See below for a list of host councils for information on closures and timings relating to local roads.
Please note that all information about the event shared on our website is subject to change. Check back with us nearer to the events commencing for the most up to date information and check with the event organisers for full information about the event.
Tips for travelling while the Championships are taking place:
- Plan ahead - consider how your journey will be impact, allow extra time for journeys and be prepared to adjust your travel plans.
- Share information and advice with family, friends, neighbours and colleagues so they can plan ahead, too.
- Consider travelling at a different time - the busiest times will be just before and just after events taking place and during road events.
- Public transport services will be busier than usual. For local journeys, walking or cycling may be the best option.
- If you live or work close to a road event, be aware that road closures and parking restrictions will be in place.
- See below for a list of host councils for information on closures and timings relating to local roads.
Gran Fondo & Medio Fondo
The Gran Fondo and Medio Fondo road races are taking place on the Friday 4th in Perth.
The Gran Fondo Individual Time Trial is taking place on Monday 7th August in Dundee and Angus.
The Men Elite Road Race is taking place on Sunday 6th August 2023 starting in Edinburgh and finishing in Glasgow.
Mountain Biking Cross Country
The Mountain Biking Cross Country event is taking place on 6th August and between 8th and 12th of August on the trails of Glentress Forest, just outside of Peebles in the Scottish Borders.
Mountain Biking Downhill
Fort William in the Highlands will host the downhill race between 3rd and 5th August. The event is taking place in the Nevis Range.
The para-cycling events are taking place in Dumfries & Galloway between the 9th and 13th of August.
All other events
There are several cycling events taking place in Glasgow, Stirling and other council areas during the Championships. There will also be a road race taking place between Glasgow and Balloch on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th August.